Monday, March 11, 2013

Sticky Notes are Applicable

We decide to label ourselves. I grab the perfectly square pad of bright blue and you grab the light yellow sticky notes. You always go with the classic. I get the sharpies and we start to write. You write "I hate everyone" in your thick messy strokes and stick it on my forehead. I write "attachment issues" and stick it on your cheek. You scrawl "Pessimist" and put it on the back of my knee. Did you know you make me weak in the knees? I write "Ignore me" and press it against your heart. My hand touches your chest and I can't help but wonder if your heart beats different when you're around me. Because I know the rhythm of your heart like I know my favorite song. It's perfect and has a nice quick  long thing going on. I am wondering if I have an affect on your heart when you give my a questioning look. My hand is still on your chest.

I laugh.
And we contiune.

"Perpetually annoyed."
"Scared of failure."
"Hipster."
"Emotional."
"Contrarian."
"Skanky underwear."
"Mismatching socks."
"Afraid of conformity."
"Low self esteem."
"The after thought."
"Swears like a sailor."
"Burden."
"Realist."
"OCD."
"Liar."
"List maker."
"Numb."
"Judgmental."

We are covered. Your  yellow sticky notes surround every inch of me as my obnoxious blue are scattered around you head to toe. I feel vulnerable. I am afraid of being vulnerable. But you and me, we are conquering our fears. We are being young and reckless and brave and last night a police officer caught us making out at the cemetery and it was funny and fantastic though that's not what the officer intended.

This is who I am and you know that.
You know who I am and you still come around. 
I know you and I can't stop coming back.
We are done hiding. Pretending. Lying.
Look at me.
This is who I am.
And I think you actually care.

5 comments:

  1. "This is who I am and you know that.
    You know who I am and you still come around.
    I know you and I can't stop coming back.
    We are done hiding. Pretending. Lying."

    I don't really know how to describe my feelings right now...let's just say, I worship this. ALL of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This whole post is awesome and different. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "My hand touches your chest and I can't help but wonder if your heart beats different when you're around me."
    You're so wonderful with words.
    My favorite post you've written. Feels real.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt like it would be tacky to paste the whole post as a comment. I thought about it though, and then I would be all "Stolen!". I love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i printed this out and put in in my journal. not my creative writing school journal, my actual journal.

    ReplyDelete