Monday, May 13, 2013

I remember so much more.

I remember coloring on the wall behind the green couch with old crayons. That is when I got my first kiss. He name was Marcus and he was asian. We were 4.
I  remember going to the store with her tired eyes and buying 10 gallons of 2% milk 3 times a week.
I remember the day he threw my cat off the deck. It never came back.
I remember getting attacked by a swan. I was 3. You were getting your graduation pictures taken, but you didn't actually graduate.
I remember the warm blankets from all the hospital stays.
I remember the day the dog swallowed a knife and died. I cried at school. They took my to the only cold drinking fountain.
I remember the first bra she bought me. It was purple and polka dotted. I was sitting on the stairs.
I remember when he was born and being called out of second grade computer class to be told that I was an aunt at 7 years old.
I remember when I fell in love with you. We were driving home from Smiths. You made a dry comment about the cookies tasting like crackers.
I remember the first time I ever doubted God.
I remember when she died and I cried at the foot her bed, holding her cold hand, for hours.
I remember the first time we cuddled and my dad walked in so you gave me a nougie and we started wrestling.
I remember Flintstone Gummy vitamins.
I remember my first sex talk. I was 9. It was my birthday. It was the first time in my life all my siblings were gone from the house and I was alone with my parents.
I remember sitting in the police station for 5 hours. I remember the detective and his mustache. I remember the swivel chair and the only magazine.
I remember when he held me close and gave me a hard kiss on the lips. He cried. He thanked me for saving their lives. We were standing by the refrigerator.
I remember the first time I swore. I said hell. We were in Lake Powell. I tried to convince you I was talking about the weather.
I remember the first time I lied. It was her Birthday and we went to the Fun Dome.
I remember when I saw you cry because of all the shit our brothers were pulling. Nobody noticed but me.
I remember answering the door and letting the police in. It was normal occurrence. Another mailbox had been blown up.
I remember when he walked home from rehab. He had crazy eyes and crazy ideas. And I was the only one who accepted him.
I remember stepping on the scattered action figures. It stopped hurting by the time I was 4.
I remember my first rated R movie.
I remember when he was born and he couldn't breathe and no one would tell me what was going on.
I remember the first time I said the F word in my head. I was mowing the lawn. I remember the first time I said it out loud. I remember being pissed.
I remember asking who he was when he came home. You told me he was our brother.
I remember peeing in the corner of my room because I wanted to be a dog.


6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I wish this post had a million comments. I don't think we know how to react to such powerful emotions. So many emotions.
    Thank you Kat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you want to forget? Any of it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the first time I fell in love with you

    whoa....

    #STOLEN

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have nothing intelligent to say to this. It's just so incredible...

    ReplyDelete