Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Shipments from Urban Outfitters

Things that fit in a box.

Frozen Mozzarella Sticks
Condoms
Ticket Stubs
Film Negatives
Toothbrushes
Envelopes
Cookies of any kind
Rock collections
Shipments from Urban Outfitters
Sticky Notes
Mexican Coke

Things that don't fit in a box.

Kisses
Souls
Reckelessness
Music
Things too big for boxes
Excuses
Stereotypes
Fears
The world probably doesn't fit in a box
Maybe we're just living in a giant box
Time
Sarcasm
Second Chances

When you first kissed me I tried to put it in a box but it didn't fit no matter what I tried. I still felt it on my lips but it was disappearing rapidly. I desperately needed somewhere to put it. But the box wouldn't accept it. So I took the kiss out of the box and gently gave it to my memories. The kiss meant something. Every kiss must mean something. Is there such a thing as a fake kiss? The staged ones, the planned ones, the filmed ones, do they mean nothing? A kiss is never just a kiss. And kisses don't fit in boxes.

Sometimes my soul does the talking. It says hello and introduces itself. It knows you're going to be my friend. It keeps talking while I stay silent. And when I begin to walk away, apart of my soul latches onto you. The first time we met my soul knew, it knew, and it gave a piece of itself to you without any doubt. It does that sometimes. I don't give it permission and I don't really appreciate it. People are walking around with pieces of my soul. I would like them back please. I can put them in a safe box where they won't get hurt. But they don't fit. It doesn't work that way.

The psychiatrist always tells me to put things in my box. "Put your fears in your box my dear" she says. "Put your past in your box" she says. "Put your cynicism in your box" she says. "Put your recklessness in your box," she says."This will help you get better!" she says."Lock up your box. Now throw away the key," she says. "Throw away the spare key, too. Now throw away the box," she says.

"Shut the hell up," I say.

Please stop trying to put me in a box. 
Even if I fit.


5 comments:

  1. This was ______.

    I've tried a few adjectives (beautiful, special, fabulous), but none of them felt right.

    But really. This was _______.

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw (that stands for the by the way btw)

    I'm stealing this for a writing prompt.

    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if you still check this... But I love love love love the way you write. How honest you are. Your view on life. Oh yeah and this is about your whole blog and not just this post, but this post is one of my faves. I probably have looked at about seventy percent of the past writers' blogs in the last year, and yours is my favorite. FAVORITE. So I just wanted to let you know somehow. And I wish I knew you in high school because I would want to be your friend. Not just because you have money like you posted. Because I like the way you talk and I would want you to talk to me from the time I woke up until the time I went to sleep.
    Love,
    one of your biggest fans

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really happy I randomly decided to check up on all my favorite creative writing blogs again. I needed this one. Happy you're still posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you. This. your writing. your tone. your flavor that makes me want to read more of your blog. Mmm. Since you already graduated, can we please meet in real life? It would make me extremely happy.

    ReplyDelete